USCJ Stands With Israel
A statement from USCJ and the Rabbinical Assembly:
On November 29, the United Nations General Assembly voted to grant the Palestinian Authority’s non-member observer status at the UN. Calling the outcome a diversion to peace between Israel and the Palestinians, the leaders of the two international organizations of Conservative Judaism were critical of today’s UN vote, which grants the Palestinian Authority de facto statehood. The Rabbinical Assembly, the international umbrella organization for Conservative rabbis, and the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the movement’s North American congregations, together issued the following statement: read more...
The recent events in Israel have affected the lives and livelihoods of people across the region. USCJ stands in solidarity with Israel and wholeheartedly supports Israel's right to defend herself.
- USCJ is working in coordination with the Jewish Federations of North America to support its Israel Terror Relief Fund, which has committed up to $5 million to help support the more than one million residents of Israel’s South and provide aid to victims and the most vulnerable Israelis during this time of conflict.
- When tensions in the Middle East grow, Jewish institutions may become targets. United Synagogue urges you to increase vigilance at your location, just as New York City police have done at offices and synagogues around the city. Click here to access USCJ information for synagogue security.
- Rabbi Wernick went to Israel on a solidarity mission with the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations. Read his impressions of the trip here. Or, to hear a recording of Rabbi Wernick discussing his trip, click here.
- Follow Nativ, USCJ's gap year program in Israel, on Twitter by clicking here.
- Read a letter from Joshua Ull, USY International President (and a Nativ participant), by clicking here.
- To read an update from the Masorti Foundation, including an update from a Masorti rabbi in Be'er Sheva, click here.
- For an update from the Israeli Consulate, which has information about the situation in Israel by the numbers, click here.
- To download a prayer written by two Masorti rabbis in Israel, click here.
- To read Rabbi Steven Wernick's statement in support of Operation Pillar of Defense, click here.
- To read a letter from Rabbi Wernick and Richard Skolnik to President Obama, click here.
The aftermath of a rocket landing in Ashdod. (photo credit: Israel Defense Force)