Five Questions, Five Minutes
This month's topic: Travel
(Tivet 5763/December 2002)
Compiled by Audrey Shore
2. MIT, Cambridge, MA
3. Switzerland, France, England
4. The old Jewish communities in Legnau and Endigen, where Jews were first allowed to live in Switzerland after being massacred in 14th and 15th centuries.
5. There is no other cool Jewish place besides Israel!
2. Tacoma C.C., Tacoma, WA
3. Czech Republic, Poland, Canada, Mexico
4. While on a trip to Eastern Europe and Israel, I visited a large number of concentration camps and other historically important Jewish European landmarks. Among them was the old Prague Jewish graveyard, which contained hundreds upon hundreds of sinking gravestones in a tiny courtyard.
5. My mother recently visited the Touro Synagogue in Newport, RI while on a trip through New England - I'd like the opportunity to travel through New England and see Touro and other old American synagogues.
1. Davida Kutscher
2. Williams College, Williamstown, MA
3. Sweden, Norway, Portugal, Ireland, Costa Rica
4. I went to shuls in both Costa Rica and Portugal. Security was extremely tight in Portugal, and the Jewish community was suffering. The Costa Rican community seemed more vibrant.
5. I would love to attend Shabbat services in every country that I travel to from now on. I am especially interested in Jewish sites in Asian countries.
2. UT, Austin
3. New York City, Cleveland, Columbus, around the South West through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado, Tampa, Orlando, almost all of Florida, Rome
4. The Jewish Quarter in Rome was like a time warp. The people who lived there were right out of a story book. They were all so welcoming and ready to share their history and hardships.
5. I would like to see the remains of the Sephardic Jewish community of Medieval Spain, like Gerona. I would like to take a peek into the life of Maimonides. I would also like to explore the evidence of the Exodus from Egypt, even though there technically isn't any physical evidence. I would like to go to Egypt and research. While there I would want to see the synagogue in Cairo where many Jewish documents were found. I wouldn't mind going on March of the Living either.