"Top Ten" Reasons To Celebrate Purim
- Making noise in shul is a mitzvah.
- Levity is not reserved for the Levites.
- If you're having a bad hair day, you can always wear a mask and no-one will know who you are.
- Purim is easier to spell than Khanuka, Chanukah, Chanuka, Hanuka, the Hebrew name for the Festival of Lights.
- You don't have to kasher your home and change all the pots and dishes.
- You don't have to build a sukkah and eat outside.
- You get to drink wine and you don't have to stand for Kiddush.
- You won't get hit in the eye by a lulav.
- Mordechai - 1; Haman - 0.
- You can't eat hamentaschen on Yom Kippur.
by Lois Goldrich, former USCJ Director of Public Affairs